12 Tips on How to Stop Overeating – Part 2
In Part 1 of the 12 Tips on How to Stop Overeating we talked about the underlying issues that are causing you to overeat. We dug deep inside to find out what was going on there. Possibly it was stress, loneliness, celebrating or making up for something else that is missing. Once you discovered the “why” then you were to pay close attention to when you found yourself in an overeating situation, and paying attention to how that food made you feel inside.
As we move on…here are the other 6 Tips on How to Stop Overeating:
7. Find Like Support. Find others in your similar situation who are trying to lose weight, whether it’s online forum buddies, friends or family.
8. Alternatives to Calm you. If your big trigger on overeating is stress, then find something that is very calming to you. Exercise is an awesome “tranquilizer” that calms you and also reduces appetite. However, if you’re in the moment and you cannot immediately do physical exercise, try some deep-breathing exercises. Another suggestion would be yoga. Very calming for your mind, body and soul.
9. Count! Take your time and count to 10. Maybe anger is your trigger for overeating. If so, find another way to dealing with those negative feelings and emotions. Counting goes along with No. 8 and deep breathing to help dissipate the anger.
10. Replace What is Missing. So maybe you’re feeling a void somewhere in your life, in your heart. Care about yourself, first and foremost. Stop feeding that missing thing with food. It doesn’t work and only makes you feel worse. When you’re feeling alone and unloved, or unworthy of any of that, change that channel in your head and tell yourself…”I’m worth it! I’m worth so much more than what I’m giving myself right now!” Sometimes what it takes is a long look in the mirror, look into your own eyes, and claim to yourself that you are worth it to be good to yourself and not destructive to your body. It may feel awkward at first, and will take some practice if you haven’t looked deep inside your own eyes, but well worth the exercise. And keep doing it!
11. Have Patience My Friend! Chances are, you’ve had these overeating habits for a very long time. Forgive yourself and don’t be so hard on yourself when you mess up. These habits don’t just go away overnight, but over time.
12. Quit Thinking That It’s “All or Nothing!” When you have the mentality that once you’ve taken on an overeating binge that you have fallen completely off the wagon and you might as well give up on your weight loss efforts because you blew it, stop it! Don’t think that way. Take a look at your overall progress and what you have accomplished so far and build off off that. No need to dwell on your mistake, forgive yourself and move on.
Taking into consideration all of the Tips on How to Stop Overeating, you should be able to conquer it and make it a long-term success. Seek out where the problem lies, pay attention to how you feel when you fall into an overeating situation and discover what you can do to fix it once and for all.
Check out the latest in fitness and nutrition.
Filed under: Healthy Eating Tips
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!